The Lister Institute’s Governing Body is made up of the trustees of the charity and the directors of the company.
About the Governing Body
The Governing Body meets formally twice a year and oversees all of the Institute’s activities, designating responsibilities in specific areas to two committees: the Finance and Investment Committee and the Scientific Advisory Committee.
There are fifteen trustees in total; six are appointed by members of the Institute at the AGM, a further six are appointed by the existing Governing Body, and there are three special appointments.
The current chair of the Governing Body is Professor Sir Alex Markham, Professor of Medicine at the University of Leeds, and former CEO of Cancer Research UK. Sir Alex took over the chair role from Dame Bridget Ogilvie in September 2011.
There are two other officers of the Governing Body: the Honorary Treasurer and Chair of the Finance and Investment Committee – Mr Michael French; and the Chair of the Scientific Advisory Committee – Professor Patrick Maxwell.
Special appointments include Lord Iveagh’s representative (the Hon. Rory Guinness) reflecting the longstanding close association between the charity and the Guinness family, a member representing the Royal Society, and finally, to honour his unique contribution to the Lister Institute and UK science in general, Professor Sir Alec Jeffreys holds a personal life-time appointment.
Most trustees serve for a period of six years and there is regularly planned rotation of membership as described above. The current members of the Governing Body are:
The Lister Institute’s Governing Body oversees an ambitious funding programme designed to support the very best biomedical researchers in the UK and Republic of Ireland. For more information on our highly competitive research prizes, please view the appropriate pages.
- Professor Sir Alex Markham, DSc, FRCP, FRCPath, FMedSci, University of Leeds
- Professor Judith Armitage, BSc, PhD, FRS, University of Oxford
- Professor Wendy Bickmore, BA, PhD, FMedSci, FRSE, Western General Hospital
- Professor Sir Adrian Bird, CBE, FRS, FRSE, University of Edinburgh
- Professor Rebecca Fitzgerald, MACantab, MD, FRCP, Hutchison-MRC Research Centre
- Mr Michael French, BSc (Eng), FCA
- The Hon Rory Guinness BA, FCIM, representative of Lord Iveagh
- Professor Douglas Higgs, MB, BS, MRCP, MRCPath, DSc, FRCP, FRCPath, FMedSci, FRS, John Radcliffe Hospital
- Mr Andrew Hutton, MA, CFA
- Professor Sir Alec Jeffreys, CH, FMedSci, FRS, University of Leicester
- Professor John Iredale, BM(Hons), FMedSci, FRCP, FRSE, University of Bristol
- Mr Matthew Pintus, BA
- Professor Cheryll Tickle, CBE, FRSE, FMedSci, FRS, University of Bath, representing the Royal Society